Online Degrees by Levels
If you are interested in pursuing an online degree program, you have a variety of options to choose from. You can find entry level diploma or certificate courses as well as online degrees at different academic levels like associate, bachelor, and master, MBA or doctorate degrees.
Types of Online Degrees
With the popularity of distance education, there are many options available to students. They can go for two-year, four-year programs as well as graduate programs. These online degrees, especially the ones accredited through accrediting agencies, are now acknowledged by employers as well. However, it is important that they are pursued through accredited online degree programs. You can even pursue a diploma course through an online high school. These online degrees are available at various levels so that you gain knowledge and develop skills in a specific area and also form a foundation to pursue more advanced degrees.
Online Degrees by Level
You can choose a variety of online degrees through e-learning. Some of the prominent options are:
- Diploma programs involve both theoretical as well as practical classes in a specific field. They do not offer in-depth training and cover the basic aspects of a particular area.
- Certificate Programs are usually offered in specific professional areas and can be used to start a new career or enhance your skill sets and knowledge in that particular area.
- An associate degree offered can be completed in 2years and involves aspects like general education requirements, major requirements and electives. It is offered through community colleges or junior colleges and this degree can help you to get entry level jobs if you are interested in pursuing a career. However, it might not help you to get prominent positions in a specific business area. They can be either transfer degrees or vocational/professional degrees.
- A bachelor degree is a graduation degree and is offered through college or university after completion of an associate degree. It builds a foundation for a specific area as most online degree programs at this level give in-depth knowledge and help students enhance their skills. It is usually a four-year degree if pursued through an accredited college or university. It can be earned upon completion of over 120 credit-hours.
- A master degree offers specialized training in specific areas and goes beyond the baccalaureate level. They are offered in a variety of fields and can be either academic or professional online degree programs. These degrees usually take one to three years depending on the course chosen. With a master’s degree and a specialization, you can even develop a career in a niche area.
- Likewise, an MBA can help you to develop skills needed for managerial positions in specific areas.
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is the highest academic degree level available online. You need a master’s degree to pursue this course and you need to submit a paper or thesis related to it. You can develop leadership careers with this level of online degree program.
Based on your aspirations and interests, you can choose an online degree at the level that you think best, depending on how deep you want to go in a particular field and the amount of time you can allocate to the degree. Just make sure to only go for online degrees that are recognized by accrediting agencies.