Top 10 Tips that will Land Your First Nursing Job
You have dedicated lots of time, money and studying to earn an online nursing degree, now the time has come to begin searching for your first nursing job, what do you do? How do you find that perfect job that you have been dreaming about? Take a look at the top 10 tips that will land you your first nursing job and a rewarding career with an online degree in nursing.
1. Create your first resume and cover letter. Put together a professional resume that includes all experiences, internships and education information relevant to the position you are seeking. Also make sure to include a cover letter when passing out your resume to potential employers.
2. Dress conservatively when going for job interviews. Make sure you dress appropriately for the job. Research the company and prepare ahead of time for the job interview. And don’t forget to make a good first impression. Doing these basic things could possibly land you the job.
3. Stand out from the competition. Nursing is becoming a very popular field. Due to the high demand for qualified nurses, the competition might be fierce so make yourself stand out from other nurses who are also competing for the same position. This can be accomplished by gaining additional experience, certification, or choosing a specialization that is in demand.
4. Apply for several positions with different employers. You may not get the first job that you apply for, but don’t give up. As a new nurse, you may have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top, so if you are offered an entry-level position, go ahead and take it. This will lead to advancement opportunities when other positions become available. You will also gain additional experience which will add to your credentials.
5. Highlight education and accomplishments on your resume. If you have certification in a special area, or an advanced degree, such as a master’s degree, be sure to let those accomplishments stand out on your resume and during the interview. The more experience and credentials you have, the more job opportunities will be available to you.
6. Volunteer at a hospital or other medical care facilities. Volunteer work can lead to permanent job opportunities, so volunteer whenever you can. Internships are also a great way to land permanent positions, so take advantage of these opportunities which could land you your first nursing job.
7. Get the word out that you are looking for a job. Enlist the service of a nursing employment agency or let family and friends know that you are looking for work as a nurse.
8. Choose an in-demand nursing specialty and online nursing degree. Some nursing specialties are in high demand. Research the nursing industry and find one that is in demand, then apply at a top online nursing school and begin your nursing career. Picking an in demand specialty will help you land your first nursing job.
9. Work while taking online courses. During your online nursing degree program, look for entry-level work at a doctor’s office or medical care facility. This will give you the experience you need to land your first job with an online nursing degree.
10. Don’t give up. Nurses are in high demand, so your chances of finding immediate employment are good. However, if you are having difficulty landing your first nursing job, don’t give up. Continue applying for work and don’t forget to do follow-up calls.
These are the top 10 tips that will land you your first nursing job.