Top 10 FAQs before you Start Career as School Nurse
Thinking about starting your career as a school nurse? This is a great time to pursue careers in the healthcare sector. There is currently a shortage of qualified nurses, so starting your career in this field makes sense. However, before you begin your educational journey, take a look at the top 10 FAQs before you start a career as a school nurse:
1. What is the professional role of a school nurse?
School nurses are responsible for a wide range of tasks, including providing health education, developmental screening, conducting health interviews, administer immunization, and treat sick and injured children.
2. Can school nurse work for both public and private schools?
School nurses are needed in both private and public schools. They can find employment by the local health authority, or directly by the school.
3. Is it helpful to get first-hand experience before becoming a school nurse?
It is a good idea to volunteer at a medical care facility in pediatrics or work with other school nurses to gain hands-on experience as a school nurse and learn more about the profession; however, it is not mandatory.
4. What skills and knowledge should a school nurse posses?
School nurses should have excellent communication skills, ability to work with children in all types of situations; have some knowledge of health promotion, sex education, child protection, family planning, and know how to deal with children and teenagers in a loving and caring way is also useful.
5. Can I take school nurse courses online?
Yes, you can because many top online nursing schools offer online nursing courses online to meet the needs of diverse students that cannot attend traditional classes.
6. Are the online nursing schools accredited?
Most of the top online nursing schools are accredited and provide a top notch education that meets the needs of students and the workforce.
7. How do I apply to an online school nurse program?
The online school nurse program is a track within the graduate nursing program. To be admitted to the school nurse program, you will need to apply and be admitted to the master’s program in nursing.
8. What if I already have my master’s degree; can I apply to the program?
If you already have a master’s degree, you can apply to the school nurse program. However, this may vary from one online school to another.
9. Will I need a GRE to be admitted to the school nurse program?
A GRE from the past 5 years is required to determine writing proficiency and to determine if there is a need for remedial coursework. However, Post-master’s students are not required to take the GRE.
10. Do I need to be employed as a school nurse to be admitted into the online nursing program?
You do not need to be employed as a school nurse. However, you must meet the requirements as specified for the master’s degree program.
These are the 10 FAQs before you start a career as a School Nurse. If you would like to add more to the list, please do so in the comments section. Thanks!