Online College Courses: Advantages and Disadvantages
Online College Courses
In the recent past educational programs and the medium of learning has seen a sea change. Distance learning which once meant for students who really could not make it to the campus colleges is now the hub for all specialized courses. Past decade has seen education in its new form. Education for all and education at any cost has become a reality today. You can break free and cross the hurdles which restrained you from reaching your goal of higher education.
The Tech Era
Technological invasion is at its high. Online education, virtual class rooms, lectures through tele-conferencing, submitting assignments online, discussions through interactive platforms, you go to a college not by stepping out of your house but at the click of your mouse. I am sure most of what is happing today would not have been even imagined a couple of decades ago.
The era of face to face interaction with professor and students is slowly fading. Given the popularity and wide reach of Online Degrees, it sometimes makes me wonder about the effectiveness and the adaptability of the students to this new way of learning. There is no external support that keeps you driving to go ahead with your educational curriculum. A completely self motivated and self disciplined effort is required to succeed in an e-learning environment which makes the education online great for few, while not so great for those who cannot adapt to a self motivated exercise.
As students it is important that you understand the advantages and the disadvantages of online college courses, to better analyze the possibility and your adaptability.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Online College Courses
Let us now sit and discuss the possible advantages and disadvantages of pursing online college course.
- No restriction on the place of study – Online education offers great opportunity for people who live in remote areas, those who live far away from the college or school offering the desired course of study, those who are not in a position to commute due to health or other reasons. You have the flexibility of attending online classes from any corner of the world. This flexibility helps individuals to overcome a major hurdle in the path of attaining academic success.
- Any time study – You have no restriction on the class timings. The classes are available on online at any time of the day and it is wonderful for both who wish to stick to fixed timings and for those who opt for such online courses mainly because they have other commitments which hardly gives them the time to study. Are you somebody who has trouble getting ready for morning classes? Are you new mom and your baby sitting schedule just does not allow you step out of the house? Are you a busy professional trying to squeeze up time for studies? Does your employment leave you with an hour or so during night to make up for your studies? Then online studies or education is just made for you.
- No notes please! – You are saved from taking down notes when you hear online lectures. If you cannot write fast or you are used to a slow pace of learning or you need to hear atleast a couple of times to understand what is being told, online classes has the facility of repeating lectures pausing them for a while and ever availability of lectures that helps you overcome all troubles in learning.
- Technology – The very fact that you are enrolled for an online course is a gift of technological advancement. Multimedia Learning Aids become part of course curriculum that enables the lecturer or the instructor to help students experience livelier version of online classes.
- Dress code necessary? – No not at all! You either sit at your home or office, it is upto you whether you wish to wear a pant or skirt or sit with pajamas for your classes. No dress code is required as you don’t attend classes in public.
- Flexible pace of learning – Online courses normally don’t generally restrict students and offers them a flexible time frame for them to complete their course. Whether you are a slow learner or a fast grasper your individual personalities are complimented in an online course of study. Whether you take one year or three years, all you are expected to do is to complete your course.
- Wide range of course options – Unlike traditional colleges, online colleges offer wide range of studies that enables them provide their students specialized courses and cater to their educational needs from any corner of the world with no restriction on admission deadlines. You can get into such courses at any time of a year unlike traditional colleges you have limited number of seats.
- No face to face interaction – Students pursing online courses do not get an opportunity of having face to face interaction with their instructors or professors. Face to face interaction has many advantages, helping students overcome both academic and non academic hurdles.
- Self discipline and time management – a compulsory requirement. Online course is mainly for those who can manage their time well. Self motivated effort is an essential part of online study. Once you log on, it is clear that the online college ensures to take you through the course curriculum in phased manner. But it takes a lot from an individual to sit down and follow what is instructed. Absolute determination to study alone can help you to succeed in an online course study.
- You are alone – If you are a very outgoing person who loves to be in the company of friends then online course of education is not your cup of tea. In reality people find an online environment really boring and rather lonely. But if you are a kind of a person who loves interacting online and enjoying the same then probably online course suits you much better than a traditional class room atmosphere.
- Technological knowhow – Being a computer literate and handling a computer based operation comfortably is a pre requisite for an online course of study. The benefits of online degree come with the precondition of owning or an access to a decent computer system with a high speed internet connection. If you find this impossible then please be aware online education is not within your reach.
- Transfer of credits difficult – It is important that you know in advance about the possibility of transferring your existing course of study to a future program. Many colleges do not facilitate the students and there by they end up doing a lot of work. Getting Online Courses from accredited colleges normally allow students to transfer the credit points earned for further educational requirements. Ensure the possibility and then proceed.