Liven up Indoor Living as an Interior Designer in Florida
Amongst the many sectors that drive America’s 4th most populous state – Florida – construction is a very important one. And that’s why careers in the construction industry, including the occupations in interior designing, are quite popular in this state.
Florida, Where 7% of All Interior Design Professionals in the US Work
With an estimated 2,930 jobs for interior designers in May 2012, Florida easily made it to the fourth place in the listing of states with the highest employment levels for interior designers. That comes to about 7 percent of the total employment level for interior designers in the country.
Top Cities in Florida Where Online Interior Design Programs Are Offered
As with all other programs and occupations, interior design courses and degrees are also being offered via the distance education route and are quite popular with students all across the US. While you can avail these from almost anywhere in the state, some popular cities where many students are benefiting from online course offerings include:
- Miami – average annual salary for interior designers = $46,000
- Tampa – average annual salary for interior designers = $41,000
- Sanford – average annual salary for interior designers = $42,000
- Orlando – average annual salary for interior designers = $42,000
- Winter Park – average annual salary for interior designers = $42,000
- Sarasota – average annual salary for interior designers = $43,000
- Tallahassee – average annual salary for interior designers = $57,000
Increasing Enrollments in Floridian Interior Design Programs
The number of students enrolling in and graduating from interior design programs and courses in Florida has been rising steadily. Bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, offered both online and via the traditional route, are the most popular, followed by associate’s degrees and certificate programs.
Degree Options for Interior Design Students
While getting a core degree in interior design is one option, students can also go for fine arts programs with a major in interior design. Some of the degrees that are on offer and pursued by various students are as follows:
- BS/BSc in Interior Design
- Bachelor of Design (BDes), Interior Design
- Bachelor of Arts and Science (BASc), Interior Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Interior Design
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Interior Design
- MS in Interior Design
19% Increase Expected in Interior Designer Jobs During 2010-2020
As homeowners are becoming more conscious and aware of better living and environmentally-friendly and practical interiors, demand for services of interior designers is rising, especially in higher income areas. Besides, employment for interior designers in specialized design firms is expected to grow even more, while remodeling of large public spaces and facilities also has a big role to play in helping prop up demand for interior designers in the days to come.
These, and many other reasons, are also behind the tremendous opportunities for interior designers in Florida. That’s why whenever someone asks us if it’s a good idea to be an interior designer in Florida, we respond with a big NOD!