Connect with the Human Mind with Online Psychology Courses and Degrees
Why do people act the way they do? How do social circumstances instigate someone to do something a certain way? What really goes on in the human mind? If you’ve found yourself pondering over these questions more often than not, then it’s not hard to conclude that majoring in psychology is your true calling.
Levels of Education for Online Psychology Degrees
While most professional and practicing psychologists have at least a master’s degree to their credit, online colleges also offer 2-year and 4-year undergrad programs for those wishing to get know-how of the field initially. Here are some degree levels offered in this discipline:
- Online Associate’s in Psychology: This 2-year degree provides a general introduction to the discipline
- Online Bachelor’s in Psychology: Besides introductory courses, this degree also covers some basic education courses such as Math, English and humanities
- Online Master’s and Doctorates in Psychology: These degrees focus on specialized education to create specialists in this field. From practical training and preparing for clinical settings, to a sound theoretical knowledge-base, these degrees will prepare you well for this field.
Picking the Right Program and Online Courses – Tips for Aspiring Psychologists
The program you should go for will depend on what your career goals are and at which stage of your career and educational life do you stand. If you are a career changer, then starting off with an associate’s or bachelor’s degree to understand the subject matter first is a wise decision.
If you’ve completed you undergrad degree and wish to get into professional practice, now is the time to explore a master’s degree for industrial-organizational jobs, or a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) degree for more research-focused career. If you’ve complete tertiary levels of education and wish to brush up on some concepts or update your knowledge, specific courses or certificate programs in psychology will work best for you.
Just remember to:
- Choose ONLY accredited online psychology programs
- Explore the mode of learning – whether it’s partly or completely online – and see if that works for you
- See if the curriculum covers the full range of courses you wish to specialize in
Psychology Careers and Specialist Occupations
Contrary to what many still believe, psychologists today do not just conduct psychotherapy sessions at clinics and offices; more of them are now working for private businesses, schools, correctional institutions, etc.
The various fields and specialties in psychology that one can go for include:
- Clinical Psychologists: assess and treat emotional and behavioral disorders
- Counseling Psychologists: advice people on dealing with problems they face, such as marriage counseling, behavioral disorder counseling, etc.
- School Psychologists: Offer educational counseling to students and their families, while also suggesting ways of improving teaching and learning methodologies
- Forensic Psychologists: Assist the legal and criminal system with the psychological findings of a case
- Industrial-Organizational Psychologists: Work towards improving workplace conditions and helping employees with a higher quality of work life
So whether you are looking to complete a certain course in psychology, or whether a degree in the field is what you aspire to complete, online courses and programs in this subject area can make for a very smooth journey for you.